[Sysreading] First meeting this semester: Friday 1/19

James Davis davisjam at vt.edu
Wed Jan 10 10:24:57 EST 2018

Hey all,

Thanks to those who filled out the whenisgood survey.

It looks like we'll continue meeting on Friday afternoons. For sanity's
sake let's just keep the 3:30-5:00 slot.

*Why you should come*
Here are two reasons!

1. Reading widely gives you a breadth of knowledge that can come in handy
when you are trying to solve research problems. It's the difference between
taking two weeks to solve something vs. saying "Hmm, this reminds me of
paper X" and looking there for help. It's also the difference between
writing a mundane Discussion and Related Work section and an interesting,
insightful one.

2. The systems reading group provides a friendly, low-risk environment to
practice discussing papers and presenting ideas. This is an important skill
for seminar-style classes, the PhD qualifying exam, oral defenses, and in
literally any job you take after graduate.

*Details for the first meeting*
*Where*: KWII room 2225 (the usual)
*When*: Friday, January 19th, 3:30 - 5:00 (the usual)
*What*: This week we are doing two things.
1. We will be planning the topics we want to study this semester. If
there's a topic you're really interested in, you should definitely come.
2. We will be discussing some lighter software engineering papers about
open source software.

i. Raymond's *The Cathedral and the Bazaar* (website
<http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/> (includes an HTML
version), postscript version
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar.ps>
).
ii. Crowston and Howison's *The social structure of Free and Open Source
software development*
<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.89.3506&rep=rep1&type=pdf>,
First Monday 2005.
iii. Mockus, Fielding, and Herbsleb's *Two case studies of open source
software development: Apache and Mozilla
<https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=567795>,* TOSEM 2002. (Read only the
Apache case study if you want).

Please RSVP to me at davisjam at vt.edu so I can plan snacks accordingly.

Regards,