[Sysreading] SRG for 2/2: Energy in computing

James Davis davisjam at vt.edu
Fri Jan 26 21:54:32 EST 2018

Hi all,

Great discussion today. I think we all have a pretty good sense of how the
Meltdown attack works now!

*Theme*
This week's theme is *Energy in computing*.

In an attempt to satisfy everyone who has stated an opinion:
- Papers 1 and 2 muck about in the Linux kernel
- Paper 3 explores the (disastrous) security implications of naive
energy-aware computing

*Papers*
1. ECOSystem: Managing Energy as a First Class Operating System Resource
<https://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs9242/16/papers/zeng02ecosystem.pdf>, Zeng
et al., ASPLOS 2002.
2. Energy-aware task and interrupt management in Linux
<http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~nahum/w6998/papers/ols-2008-srinivasan-energy.pdf>,
Srinivasan et al., Ottawa Linux Symposium 2008.
3. CLKSCREW: Exposing the Perils of Security-Oblivious Energy Management
<https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity17/sec17-tang.pdf>,
Tang et al., USENIX Security 2017.

*Bonus paper*
Here's a little HotOS ditty related to energy, just for fun. Sign up if you
want.
4. Free Lunch: Exploiting Renewable Energy For Computing
<https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~acr31/pubs/akoush-freelunch.pdf>, Akoush et al.,
HotOS 2011.

*Logistics*
"The usual": Friday Feb. 2 2018, KW2 2225, 3:30-5:00 PM.

*Sign-ups*
Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bej63kWc74Hr5byE8WJul3a4NHIbBfSQ_z8tduGKkpg/edit?usp=sharing>.
Your sign-up is your RSVP.
Let me know if you have specific snack requests!

Cheers,

Jamie

--
Jamie Davis