[Sysreading] SRG for 30 Jan: A critique of serverless

James Davis davisjam at vt.edu
Sun Jan 27 15:35:34 EST 2019

Hi folks,

Last week we talked about the Function-as-a-Service (FaaS) aka Serverless
paradigm. This week we will hear some criticisms of the current commercial
offerings in the FaaS space, published at CIDR'19.

The paper is:* Serverless Computing: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
<http://cidrdb.org/cidr2019/papers/p119-hellerstein-cidr19.pdf>* by
Hellerstein et al., CIDR 2019. Slides are here
<https://speakerdeck.com/jhellerstein/serverless-computing-one-step-forward-two-steps-back>
.

Mischa will lead the discussion, but attendees should look over at least
the abstract and conclusion of the paper to make things a bit livelier.

Please RSVP here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FMT-It3xUxCEXNZhEohrc1OZl1bmuxaEhjBL9WcDAUU/edit?usp=sharing>
so I can buy enough food.

Cheers,